EE8353 – ELECTRICAL DRIVES AND CONTROLS Syllabus 2017 Regulation
ELECTRICAL DRIVES AND CONTROLS Syllabus 2017 Regulation
EE8353 ELECTRICAL DRIVES AND CONTROLS L T P C
3 0 0 3
- To understand the basic concepts of different types of electrical machines and their
- To study the different methods of starting D.C motors and induction motors.
- To study the conventional and solid-state drives
UNIT I INTRODUCTION 8
Basic Elements – Types of Electric Drives – factors influencing the choice of electrical drives
– heating and cooling curves – Loading conditions and classes of duty – Selection of power rating for drive motors with regard to thermal overloading and Load variation factors
UNIT II DRIVE MOTOR CHARACTERISTICS 9
Mechanical characteristics – Speed-Torque characteristics of various types of load and drive motors– Braking of Electrical motors – DC motors: Shunt, series and compound – single phase and three phase induction motors.
UNIT III STARTING METHODS 8
Types of D.C Motor starters – Typical control circuits for shunt and series motors – Three phase squirrel cage and slip ring induction motors.
UNIT IV CONVENTIONAL AND SOLID STATE SPEED CONTROL OF D.C. DRIVES 10
Speed control of DC series and shunt motors – Armature and field control, Ward-Leonard control system – Using controlled rectifiers and DC choppers –applications.
UNIT V CONVENTIONAL AND SOLID STATE SPEED CONTROL OF A.C. DRIVES 10
Speed control of three phase induction motor – Voltage control, voltage / frequency control, slippower recovery scheme – Using inverters and AC voltage regulators – applications.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
- Upon Completion of this subject, the students can able to explain different types of
electrical machines and their performance
1. Nagrath .I.J. & Kothari .D.P, “Electrical Machines”, Tata McGraw-Hill, 2006
2. Vedam Subrahmaniam, “Electric Drives (Concepts and Applications)”, Tata McGraw-Hill, 2010
1. Partab. H., “Art and Science and Utilisation of Electrical Energy”, Dhanpat Rai and Sons, 2017
2. Pillai.S.K “A First Course on Electric Drives”, Wiley Eastern Limited, 2012
3. Singh. M.D., K.B.Khanchandani, “Power Electronics”, Tata McGraw-Hill, 2006.