ME8451-MANUFACTURING TECHNOLOGY – II Syllabus 2017 Regulation
MANUFACTURING TECHNOLOGY – II Syllabus 2017 Regulation,ME8451-MANUFACTURING TECHNOLOGY – II Syllabus 2017 Regulation
ME8451 MANUFACTURING TECHNOLOGY – II L T P C 3 0 0 3
- To understand the concept and basic mechanics of metal cutting, working of standard machine tools such as lathe, shaping and allied machines, milling, drilling and allied machines, grinding and allied machines and broaching.
- To understand the basic concepts of Computer Numerical Control (CNC) of machine tools and CNC Programming
UNIT I THEORY OF METAL CUTTING 9
Mechanics of chip formation, single point cutting tool, forces in machining, Types of chip, cutting tools– nomenclature, orthogonal metal cutting, thermal aspects, cutting tool materials, tool wear, tool life, surface finish, cutting fluids and Machinability.
UNIT II TURNING MACHINES 9
Centre lathe, constructional features, specification, operations – taper turning methods, thread cutting methods, special attachments, machining time and power estimation. Capstan and turret lathes- tool layout – automatic lathes: semi automatic – single spindle : Swiss type, automatic screw type – multi spindle:
UNIT III SHAPER, MILLING AND GEAR CUTTING MACHINES 9
Shaper – Types of operations. Drilling ,reaming, boring, Tapping. Milling operations-types of milling cutter. Gear cutting – forming and generation principle and construction of gear milling ,hobbing and gear shaping processes –finishing of gears.
UNIT IV ABRASIVE PROCESS AND BROACHING 9
Abrasive processes: grinding wheel – specifications and selection, types of grinding process– cylindrical grinding, surface grinding, centreless grinding and internal grinding- Typical applications – concepts of surface integrity, broaching machines: broach construction – push, pull, surface and continuous broaching machines
UNIT V CNC MACHINING 9
Numerical Control (NC) machine tools – CNC types, constructional details, special features, machining centre, part programming fundamentals CNC – manual part programming – micromachining – wafer machining.
TOTAL : 45 PERIODS
Upon the completion of this course the students will be able to
Explain the mechanism of material removal processes.
Describe the constructional and operational features of centre lathe and other special purpose lathes.
Describe the constructional and operational features of shaper, planner, milling, drilling, sawing and broaching machines.
Explain the types of grinding and other super finishing processes apart from gear manufacturing processes.
Summarize numerical control of machine tools and write a part program.
1. Hajra Choudhury, “Elements of Workshop Technology”, Vol.II., Media Promoters 2014
2. Rao. P.N “Manufacturing Technology – Metal Cutting and Machine Tools”, 3rd Edition, Tata McGraw-Hill, New Delhi, 2013.
1. Richerd R Kibbe, John E. Neely, Roland O. Merges and Warren J.White “Machine Tool Practices”, Prentice Hall of India, 1998
2. Geofrey Boothroyd, “Fundamentals of Metal Machining and Machine Tools”, Mc Graw Hill, 1984
3. HMT, “Production Technology”, Tata McGraw Hill, 1998.
4. Roy. A.Lindberg, “Process and Materials of Manufacture,” Fourth Edition, PHI/Pearson Education 2006