ME8595- THERMAL ENGINEERING – II Syllabus 2017 Regulation
THERMAL ENGINEERING – II Syllabus 2017 Regulation,ME8595- THERMAL ENGINEERING – II Syllabus 2017 Regulation
ME8595 THERMAL ENGINEERING – II L T P C
3 0 0 3
- To apply the thermodynamic concepts for Nozzles, Boilers, Turbines, and Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Systems.
- To understand the concept of utilising residual heat in thermal systems.
UNIT I STEAM NOZZLE 9
Types and Shapes of nozzles, Flow of steam through nozzles, Critical pressure ratio, Variation of mass flow rate with pressure ratio. Effect of friction. Metastable flow.
UNIT II BOILERS 9
Types and comparison. Mountings and Accessories. Fuels – Solid, Liquid and Gas. Performance calculations, Boiler trial.
UNIT III STEAM TURBINES 9
Types, Impulse and reaction principles, Velocity diagrams, Work done and efficiency – optimal operating conditions. Multi-staging, compounding and governing.
UNIT IV COGENERATION AND RESIDUAL HEAT RECOVERY 9
Cogeneration Principles, Cycle Analysis, Applications, Source and utilisation of residual heat. Heat pipes, Heat pumps, Recuperative and Regenerative heat exchangers. Economic Aspects.
UNIT V REFRIGERATION AND AIR – CONDITIONING 9
Vapour compression refrigeration cycle, Effect of Superheat and Sub-cooling, Performance calculations, Working principle of air cycle, vapour absorption system, and Thermoelectric refrigeration. Air conditioning systems, concept of RSHF, GSHF and ESHF, Cooling load calculations. Cooling towers – concept and types.
Upon the completion of this course the students will be able to
Solve problems in Steam Nozzle
Explain the functioning and features of different types of Boilers and auxiliaries and calculate performance parameters.
Explain the flow in steam turbines, draw velocity diagrams for steam turbines and solve problems.
Summarize the concept of Cogeneration, Working features of Heat pumps and Heat exchangers
Solve problems using refrigerant table / charts and psychrometric charts
1. Kothandaraman, C.P., Domkundwar .S and Domkundwar A.V.,”A course in Thermal Engineering”, Dhanpat Rai & Sons, 2016.
2. Mahesh. M. Rathore, “Thermal Engineering”, 1st Edition, Tata Mc Graw Hill Publications, 2010.
1. Arora .C.P., “Refrigeration and Air Conditioning”, Tata Mc Graw Hill, 2008
2. Ballaney. P.L .” Thermal Engineering”, Khanna publishers, 24th Edition 2012
3. Charles H Butler : Cogeneration” McGraw Hill, 1984.
4. Donald Q. Kern, “ Process Heat Transfer”, Tata Mc Graw Hill, 2001.
5. Sydney Reiter “Industrial and Commercial Heat Recovery Systems” Van Nostrand Reinhols, 1985.