PH6251 ENGINEERING PHYSICS – II L T P C 3 0 0 3
- To enrich the understanding of various types of materials and their applications in engineering and technology.
UNIT I CONDUCTING MATERIALS 9
Conductors – classical free electron theory of metals – Electrical and thermal conductivity – Wiedemann – Franz law – Lorentz number – Draw backs of classical theory – Quantum theory – Fermi distribution function – Effect of temperature on Fermi Function – Density of energy states – carrier concentration in metals.
UNIT II SEMICONDUCTING MATERIALS 9
Intrinsic semiconductor – carrier concentration derivation – Fermi level – Variation of Fermi level with temperature – electrical conductivity – band gap determination – compound semiconductors -direct and indirect band gap- derivation of carrier concentration in n-type and p-type semiconductor – variation of Fermi level with temperature and impurity concentration –– Hall effect –Determination of Hall coefficient – Applications.
UNIT III MAGNETIC AND SUPERCONDUCTING MATERIALS 9
Origin of magnetic moment – Bohr magneton – comparison of Dia, Para and Ferro magnetism – Domain theory – Hysteresis – soft and hard magnetic materials – antiferromagnetic materials – Ferrites and its applications Superconductivity: properties – Type I and Type II superconductors – BCS theory of superconductivity(Qualitative) – High Tc superconductors – Applications of superconductors – SQUID, cryotron, magnetic levitation.
UNIT IV DIELECTRIC MATERIALS 9
Electrical susceptibility – dielectric constant – electronic, ionic, orientational and space charge polarization – frequency and temperature dependence of polarisation – internal field – Claussius – Mosotti relation (derivation) – dielectric loss – dielectric breakdown – uses of dielectric materials (capacitor and transformer) – ferroelectricity and applications.
UNIT V ADVANCED ENGINEERING MATERIALS 9
Metallic glasses: preparation, properties and applications. Shape memory alloys (SMA): Characteristics, properties of NiTi alloy, application, Nanomaterials– Preparation -pulsed laser deposition – chemical vapour deposition – Applications – NLO materials –Birefringence- optical Kerr effect – Classification of Biomaterials and its applications
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
- The students will have the knowledge on physics of materials and that knowledge will be used by them in different engineering and technology applications.
- Arumugam M., Materials Science. Anuradha publishers, 2010
- Pillai S.O., Solid State Physics. New Age International(P) Ltd., publishers, 2009
- Palanisamy P.K. Materials Science. SCITECH Publishers, 2011.
- Senthilkumar G. Engineering Physics II. VRB Publishers, 2011.
- Mani P. Engineering Physics II. Dhanam Publications, 2011.
- Marikani A. Engineering Physics. PHI Learning Pvt., India, 2009.