PS7008 SMART GRID L T P C 3 0 0 3
- To Study about Smart Grid technologies, different smart meters and advanced metering infrastructure.
- To familiarize the power quality management issues in Smart Grid.
- To familiarize the high performance computing for Smart Grid applications
UNIT I INTRODUCTION TO SMART GRID 9
Evolution of Electric Grid, Concept, Definitions and Need for Smart Grid, Smart grid drivers, functions, opportunities, challenges and benefits, Difference between conventional & Smart Grid, Concept of Resilient & Self Healing Grid, Present development & International policies in Smart Grid, Diverse perspectives from experts and global Smart Grid initiatives.
UNIT II SMART GRID TECHNOLOGIES 9
Technology Drivers, Smart energy resources,Smart substations, Substation Automation, Feeder Automation , Transmission systems: EMS, FACTS and HVDC, Wide area monitoring, Protection and control, Distribution systems: DMS, Volt/VAr control,Fault Detection, Isolation and service restoration, Outage management,High-Efficiency Distribution Transformers, Phase Shifting Transformers, Plug in Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEV).
UNIT III SMART METERS AND ADVANCED METERING INFRASTRUCTURE 9
Introduction to Smart Meters, Advanced Metering infrastructure (AMI) drivers and benefits,AMI protocols, standards and initiatives, AMI needs in the smart grid, Phasor Measurement Unit(PMU), Intelligent Electronic Devices(IED) & their application for monitoring & protection.
UNIT IV POWER QUALITY MANAGEMENT IN SMART GRID 9
Power Quality & EMC in Smart Grid, Power Quality issues of Grid connected Renewable Energy Sources, Power Quality Conditioners for Smart Grid, Web based Power Quality monitoring, Power Quality Audit.
UNIT V HIGH PERFORMANCE COMPUTING FOR SMART GRID APPLICATIONS 9
Local Area Network (LAN), House Area Network (HAN), Wide Area Network (WAN), Broadband over Power line (BPL), IP based Protocols, Basics of Web Service and CLOUD Computing to make Smart Grids smarter, Cyber Security for Smart Grid. TOTAL : 45 PERIODS
- Vehbi C. Güngör, DilanSahin, TaskinKocak, Salih Ergüt, Concettina Buccella, Carlo Cecati, and Gerhard P. Hancke, Smart Grid Technologies: Communication Technologies and Standards IEEE Transactions On Industrial Informatics, Vol. 7, No. 4, November 2011.
- Xi Fang, Satyajayant Misra, Guoliang Xue, and Dejun Yang “Smart Grid – The New and Improved Power Grid: A Survey” , IEEE Transaction on Smart Grids,
- Stuart Borlase “Smart Grid :Infrastructure, Technology and Solutions”,CRC Press 2012.
- Janaka Ekanayake, Nick Jenkins, KithsiriLiyanage, Jianzhong Wu, Akihiko Yokoyama, “Smart Grid: Technology and Applications”, Wiley.